You remember the “Sunscreen Song,” right? ((Read the history of how it came to be here))
Well, for some reason I started thinking about that song, which prompted me to dig up the lyrics, which prompted me to remember how awesome, and true, the lyrics are. So here’s a little brain-floss in the form of my favorite parts to kick off the week:
- Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they’ve faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you’ll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.
- Don’t worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.
- Do one thing every day that scares you.
- Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself.
- Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
- Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else’s.
- Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.
- Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.
- Get to know your parents. You never know when they’ll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They’re your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.
- Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.
I honestly believe that whatever life throws at you, there’s at least one line in the Sunscreen Song that will help you get through it. When I had to give my two weeks notice at my last job, I literally said “do one thing every day that scares you” before walking through my bosses door. No lie. And ladies, how true is the beauty magazine part???